Information for Applicants
It is most critical for us to learn more details about your core technical skills, background, and previously deployed projects. The projects we have listed below are “fresh” projects, and we would certainly be happy to hear more about your thoughts for attacking them. However, there are also potentially other projects we could suggest for students to work on, if their background is a good fit. If you are interested in working on AfSIS projects, please send an email togoogle AT qed.ai
with a subject line of “[GSOC16] First Name, Last Name”, and it will be received by potential mentors. Your email should include both your CV and the following information:
- github repository
- listing of all programming languages known, with number of years of experience in each
- within each programming language, listing of special packages or modules known, with number of years of experience in each (e.g., OpenCV, GDAL, GSL, Django)
- listing of all database technologies known, with number of years of experience in each
- degree(s) being pursued, university, current GPA, and listing of relevant classes
- +competition experiences: awards from hackathons, programming contests (e.g., Kaggle, KDD, IPO, TopCoder, Hackerrank, GCJ), or mathematics contests (e.g., USAMO, IMO, Putnam)
- any thoughts you might have on the projects we have proposed below
- bonus skill sets we are looking for — very helpful but not required
- GIS and web visualization: Leaflet, OpenLayers, GeoServer, TileMill, GeoTrellis, MapBox
- mobile app development: Android, iOS, PhoneGap — provide links to apps that have been deployed in the Play Store or App Store
- machine learning: R, scikit-learn and Pandas, KNIME, VW, Spark, etc.
- crowdsourcing: Mechanical Turk, CrowdFlower, SamaSource
- computer vision experience using OpenCV
We will absolutely NOT consider any applicants that are not fluent with developing under version control, working in a UNIX-based environment, or are only familiar with proprietary technologies such as the .NET framework, ColdFusion, IDL, Envi, ArcGIS, Tableau, Mathematica, MATLAB, etc.
Please understand that due to the very large number of inquiries that we have been receiving since being recently selected on March 2nd, it may not be possible for us to respond individually to each. However, we will be reading your submissions, so that we can decide on a limited subset of students to engage with for further discussions and technical interviews.